Re: [NTLK] Success! NTK 1.6.4 and Mac OS X 10.1

From: Zachery Bir (zbir_at_urbanape.com)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 15:19:17 EDT

On Monday, October 22, 2001, at 03:03 , Laurent Daudelin wrote:

> Yes, that's it. Actually, NTK won't show you EtherTalk or whatever. It
> just shows "AppleTalk". The transport is irrelevant for NTK. What is
> important is the protocol, which is AppleTalk. Now, under 9, you
> have to
> configure AppleTalk to use Ethernet. Then, you can say that you're
> using
> EtherTalk, which is AppleTalk over Ethernet. There used to be
> TokenTalk.
> I imagine you can guess what that means...

Okay, if that's the case, then even when ( inside Classic's
AppleTalk Control Panel ) I have AppleTalk traffic going over
Ethernet, I should just be able to select AppleTalk as the Type of
Connection in NTK, and it should work...

> Now, wait a second! You're saying that you don't see this option when
> running NTK under Classic? So, you're actually running NTK under
> Classic? Which version of OS X? Since I did install 10.1, and as
> reported by Sean Luke, NTK doesn't want to launch anymore under
> Classic,
> when running OS X 10.1. So, how did you do it? Or are you using OS X
> 10.0.x?

See the subject line :)

Yes, the whole reason I started this endeavor is because I don't
usually like to hear "It can't be done."

I figured based on the error reported when running NTK under a
stock 10.1 that it can't find the serial ports, that I would set
its defaults under 9.2 to look at my Keyspan Adapter for serial
ports, and that I would still try to get it working with AppleTalk.
What you've been telling me seems like it would work, as I can
connect to other resources under Classic using Appletalk over
Ethernet. For instance, I can run NCU in Classic and install
packages.

Now, I still can't seem initiate a connection from the Newton to my
iBook using the Toolkit App. It just hangs there on Looking for
hosts...

Zac

( Whew, have I skewed enough of the posting stats for this month? )