Re: [NTLK] Apple to unveil ... - OT, rant.

From: Steve Kramer (skramer_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 20:30:20 EDT

Not to open this wound but here is my opinion.

As founder of the National Newton Association and friend to Planet
Computing, I was in contact with alot of people at Apple regarding this dark
past.

1. The Newton was in the black with the success of Emate and the ever
increasing success of the Newton 2000 in late 1997 to early 1998

2. I know the Apple Rep who worked in the midwest who told me that the
cancellation of newton was a personal decision for Steve Jobs. And not a
business decision.

3. It's true that Apple was hemorrhaging (sp) money. Gil and Elen Hancock
stopped many of the projects that were competing with other technologies.
But we had a friend with Gil who was very pro-newton.

4. I remember the fateful day that I was doing an Emate demo in downtown
Chicago when an Apple Rep came in to say happily that Microsoft had invested
$150 million to Apple. This was January of 1998.

5. As far as Newton Inc., it's all heresay, but I know that Newton Inc. was
very interested in building upon its base. Interestingly though Emate was
still inside Apple. When Steve Jobs brought Newton back into the company he
pissed off Sandy Bennett so much that Sandy leaked to the press that Newton
had been cancelled. It was one of the few times that anyone in Jobs' reign
has been able to speak out against Apple. Obviously, he was fired for it.

6. Simply, Jobs hated the Newton and his buddy Bill Gates in their $150
million dollar deal was for Apple to stop all work on Newton so Gates could
take over the vertical markets with the Windows Ce. Gates gave him the money
for the development of the Imac and for securing future versions of Mac
Office.

Just some of the stuff I knew.

Steve Kramer
Nwou Mobile Computing Group