[NTLK] "Open" Waba [was Re: Open Sourcing ATA Support]

From: Adam Warner (lists_at_consulting.net.nz)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 02:57:49 EDT

Paul I think were good on all the other issues. Thanks for the final
reply.

> Wait. It's not your values I called propaganda, it's the expression
> "open" used in such a meaningless way "open development platform".
> But maybe it's because I don't understand what it means (well, if it
> just means that the development tool is open sourced - (a) it's not
> totally, you need a java compiler and (b) I still can't see the
> interest compared to freeware *in the case of Waba*).

I meant two things:

[http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=open]

(a) "Accessible to all": Skills learned in programming for the platform
can be directly transferred to another platform (you'll have seen Steve
make a similar observation yesterday). This also means a PDA-specific
language doesn't have to learned (unlike Newton Script). I've heard
people say that they will never again learn a specific language just for
a PDA. People want transferrable skills.

But I mainly meant:

(b) "Free from limitations, boundaries, or restrictions" (free as in no
money and free as in freedom) development tools.

Perhaps I'm wrong. I imagined that you could also use the open source
Java implemenation Kaffe (www.kaffe.org) in place of, for example, Sun's
Java compiler.

"Kaffe mostly complies with JDK 1.1, except for a few missing parts.
Parts of it are already JDK 1.2 (Java 2) compatible."

If you look here:

http://www.wabasoft.com/faq.shtml#jdkdev

2.What JDK should I use to develop Waba programs?

Any one of them should work fine. We've
tested development of Waba programs using
Sun's JDK 1.02, JDK 1.1 and JDK 1.2 and
Microsoft's SDK for Java. There is code in the
Waba bridge classes to ensure you can develop
under any of the various versions.

So Waba doesn't appear to be tied to any particular Java implementation.

> >Thanks for the beta 9 release.
>
> Well, I'm not very proud of it, I think the interesting release will
> be the beta 10 with all the improvements we discussed earlier (plus a
> lot of others, I hope). At least, if you install a 2.4 MB package
> compressed to 1.3, it should say something like 1.4 or 1.5 at most.

Great :-)

Regards,
Adam