Re: [NTLK] Any update on that device?

From: Stainless Steel Rat (ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 15:00:36 EDT

* SlashDevNull <SlashDevNull_at_mac.com> on Tue, 23 Oct 2001
| It is innovative. iPod holds 5 gigs. And from what I understand it also
| functions as a FireWire hard drive.

Piffle. My Nomad Jukebox shipped with a 6GB disk over a year ago, was
recently converted to hold a 20GB disk, and with the new 40GB 9mm height
disks available it can take one of those, too. Big whoop that it can't be
mounted directly on the host, except that a third party product lets me do
that, thanks to the fact that Creative has released a Jukebox SDK for third
party developers to do exactly that.

FireWire is nice, and while iPod is the first portable MP3 player to use
it, I wouldn't call it a "breakthrough" or "innovation".

| No charging cord. It charges from the FireWire connection.

Which means you have to leave the host on to charge the player, making your
Macintosh the most expensive wall wart in the world.

Sorry, iPod is evolutionary, not revolutionary.

Unless you count the fact that it can -only- be hosted by a Macintosh w/
FireWire as being some kind of breakthrough. I call it "broken" myself.

--
Rat <ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net>    \ Warning: pregnant women, the elderly, and
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ children under 10 should avoid prolonged