Re: [NTLK] O/T - Unintended feature of the iPod

From: Stainless Steel Rat (ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 17:42:53 EDT

* Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net> on Wed, 24 Oct 2001
| And this, brother, is where you are missing it. All the previous mp3
| players have been nothing more than geek toys. They are too much of a
| hassle for a normal person to deal with or to bother learning. The iPod
| brings a new level of simplicity to the field. [...]

I might buy that argument except for one thing: the price tag. iPod is
priced as a geek toy, not a mass consumer market device. Joe Consumer does
not buy the best. He does not care that what it looks like or sounds like
or has whiz! bang! features. He buys what costs the least. I buy $300
Sennheiser HD600 headphones; Joe Consumer buys $6.95 Labtec junk. I buy
$400 Sony MZ-R900 MD recorder; Joe Consumer buys $14.99 no-name cassette
recorder at K-Mart. I buy $500 Pioneer Laserdisc player; Joe Consumer buys
$69 Samsung mono VCR. I buy a $450 27" Trinitron TV; Joe Consumer buys a
$100 19" TV with a tube with more curve than Charlize Theron's hips. I buy
a $1000 NAD A/V receiver; Joe Consumer buys... did you say Charlize Theron!?

iPod is priced some four times what Joe Consumer is willing to pay. But
this has always been Apple's failing. The price for performance from Apple
has always been higher than Joe Consumer wants to pay. My briefest attempt
at being on-topic is that this also hurt Newton early on, being priced as
an executive toy rather than something that "the rest of us" could
generally afford.

[...]
| BTW, it's not wise to judge the iPod as you have, simply because you hate
| Job's guts. Your prejudice is showing, and colors everything you are
| saying, making your arguments worthless, as they can't be trusted.

Since you appear to be an apologist for Steve Jobs I could say exactly the
same thing about your opinions being worthless because they are colored by
the "Steve Jobs can do no wrong" bias. Are we finished insulting each
other, yet?

--
Rat <ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net>    \ Do not use Happy Fun Ball on concrete.
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \