Re: [NTLK] iPod...watch out for RIAA!

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 00:10:44 EDT

Microsoft's Bill Gates made almost the exact same
statement when it was discovered that the Media Player
intellectual property protection scheme was cracked
for the second time (the first was back in 97, when it
was discovered that re-threading the output of Media
Player back into your sound card allowed you to record
copy protected material)
Microsoft also said that since they knew that the
scheme will be compromised, they even expected it to
be, they built in a method of quickly modifying the
scheme and redeploying it at a moments notice.
Sentiments that I'm sure music moguls everywhere are
glad to hear!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- PaulMmn <PaulMmn_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> >"Piracy is not a technological issue. It's a
> behavior
> >issue," Jobs said, adding that all the encryption
> >schemes that have been developed can also be
> broken.
>

> Hear, Hear!! It's about time someone spoke up and
> admitted that the
> best technological fixes will be broken almost as
> quickly as they're
> rolled out!
>
> --Paul E Musselman
> PaulMmn_at_ix.netcom.nospam.com
>

> >I just read the following about the iPod:
> >
> >"The device does not use a digital-rights
> management
> >scheme.
> >
> >When it auto-syncs to iTunes, the iPod can only
> >connect to one copy of the software on one Mac. But
> >manual mode allows the device to share songs
> between
> >any number of Macs.
> >
> >However, Jobs said Apple does not condone stealing
> >music. In fact, he said, the company spent $50,000
> on
> >CDs to go along with review copies of the unit so
> that
> >Apple would not be promoting piracy.
> >
> >The iPod does come wrapped in plastic with a
> warning
> >in English, French, German and Japanese that
> states,
> >"Don't steal music."
> >
> >"Piracy is not a technological issue. It's a
> behavior
> >issue," Jobs said, adding that all the encryption
> >schemes that have been developed can also be
> broken.
> >
> >He added that Apple tried to go out of its way to
> show
> >its concern for artists' copyrights, despite the
> >relatively open nature of its hardware."
> >
> >I think that the RIAA is going to look at this very
> >closly and if they don't like what they see, expect
> >another "Napster" like attack, but this time
> towards
> >Apple!
> >
> >ed
> >web/gadget guru

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...