[NTLK] [ANN] NPDS updates

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 16:38:04 EDT

Hi all,

I've just uploaded a couple of new versions of packages for the
branch of NPDS I'm working on.
They can be found on this branch's website http://npds.free.fr
I'm also posting this on NTLK (on the contrary to what I usually do)
to advertise these NPDS updates before NPDS 3.0.

What is NPDS?
=============
You know how much Apache is superior to any other desktop OS-web
server solution? You know how much NewtonOS is superior to any other
OS? Well, you therefore know what NPDS is :)
This web server was written by Matt Vaughn from a TCP Server code by
Ray Rischpater. It runs on any 2.x Newton, although you probably
would have some problems on a MP120.

Matt published NPDS 2.01 on his website
(http://homepage.mac.com/LightyearDesign/NPDS/).

This branch derives from his code. It has been improved by Victor
Rehorst who wrote the NPDS Java Tracker, Adam Tow and myself. It is
tested on a daily basis by several active Newton users. Thanks to
them all.

Because Ray's code is licensed under GPL (although it's illegal under
NewtonOS), NPDS is licensed under GPL as well. However, all the code
Matt, Adam Tow and I wrote is licensed under a BSD-like license
(except the GIF Server for which I have to determine if I'm violating
Unisys patent).

Anyway, it's open source, in case you want to give a hand.

Who uses NPDS?
you use the other branch, you can register) where other users help
them to setup their Newton, give advices and report bugs among other
things. We even had our iPod thread :). You can subscribe by sending
a mail with subscribe in the subject to npds-request_at_ml.free.fr. All
that is ad free.

What is new?
============

The new modules fix several causes of problems which lead to server
crashes (NPDS sometimes stops serving pages). Also, I've included a
lot of debug lines to fix these bugs and a little change in the
NoteServ module to help design of cool websites.

nHTTPd 2.040
------------
  Fixed the SetRemove problem (thanks Sean) with a workaround. I think
this is why the server sometimes refused to close every endpoint
  Added plenty of verbose lines and updated the previous ones.

NotePad Server 2.043
--------------------
  Various cleanups
  Added more verbose outputs when kDebugOn is TRUE
  Any note with a title ending with .css or .js or .htm or .html won't
be translated to HTML. However, I think that the MIME type sent is
text/html. Bah, this is just a temporary change before NPDS 3.0 alpha
1.

GIF Server 1.11
  Fixed a bug causing the endpoint to not be closed.

Binary Server 1.01
  Fixed the same bug also present there. I checked, it's not present
anywhere else.

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/