Re: [NTLK] PC Card Firewire

From: gopi_at_sin.sloth.org
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 18:42:28 EDT

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Paul Guyot wrote:
> >One other issue, all firewire cards are cardbus, the Newton doesn't support
> >card bus from what I remember.
> I'm pretty ignorant of the current supply in matter of FireWire
> cards, but if indeed they are all CardBus, then you're right, there
> is strictly no way.

At this point in time, I'm pretty sure that all the firewire PCMCIA cards
are, internally, using the same chipset.

16bit PCMCIA has trouble keeping up with 10/100 ethernet I've been told -
almost all 100Mbps ethernet cards are CardBus. I can't imagine the market
of really old laptops that want firewire is great enough for anybody to
develop a 16bit FireWire interface.

On the Newton front, FireWire is a fairly complex interface. I've skimmed
the specs, and it didn't look all that pleaseant. I can't imagine it would
be fun to do. That, and what do you plug in? Hard drives? Camcorders? Sync
tools? Just doesn't seem worthwhile. IMHO.