Re: [NTLK] Freeware Must-Haves? (1x0 compatible)

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2001 - 09:56:05 EDT

on 10/26/01 1:20 AM, Alex Enkerli at aenkerli_at_indiana.edu wrote:

> Well, while we're at it, what are your freeware must-haves that are
> compatible with 1x0 devices? Looking through freeware archives is
> somewhat cumbersome and there might be things I missed.
> Alex

Here is what I have. Sorry, but you will have to search for these on Unna,
or elsewhere.

1. Alarm Clock by Foundation Systems
2. Geek Gas-gas mileage calculator
3. Solo DX solitaire game
4. The Message-KJV Bible reader package
5. QuickPort-text transfer utility-serial only
6. AutoRotate-automatically rotates the screen depending if a keyboard is
plugged in or not
7. Patchwork-keeps your dates and names views as you last had them when you
reset the Newton. I forgot I had it, but if I didn't, I would quickly get
upset at having my Names in card view and dates in date view. :-)
8. Styles + also by Foundation Systems
9. Tasklist by SBM-creates a pop-up menu when you tap the top-left corner of
the names silk button. The menu contains active programs and allows you to
switch between them.
10. Backlight Plus by Foundation Systems, time-based backlight control, as
well as a hot-spot on the screen to turn it on and off.
11. Bigger Notes-allows larger note sizes.--By Paul Guyot!
12. Hide Eworld
13. DragNDrop Names by Foundation, allows names to be dropped onto the open
Names app window to create a new name card. Various formats are supported.
14. HyperNames by Iambic. Allows you to link names together. Freeware.
15. ToDoFont-makes the text in the built-in To do list smaller, so more
items fit on the screen. A must have in my book. :-)
16. Alt rec.-alternative handwriting recognizer, works great, and by the
indomitable Paul Guyot.
17. TapBar and its many plugins-too complex to explain, but you should be
able to find its web site.

I have a couple more, but those are the ones I use and find essential to my
Newton existence. Worth trying.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland