Re: [NTLK] Newton Message Pad

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2001 - 12:25:11 EDT

On Sat, 27 Oct 2001, Jon Glass wrote:

> on 10/27/01 1:18 AM, Bill davis newton at newton_at_mail.ecity.net wrote:
>
> > Now if I can just get Newton ebook makers to compress ebooks as small
> > as the Palm does. Most of my ebooks compress to half or less of the
> > text file size in PalmDOC format, but the version of PaperBack I have
> > seems to make docs that are TWICE the size of the original text file
> > (due to Newtons use of Unicode, I assume.)
>
> In a word, yes. Two-byte, vs one byte per character. Ouch.

Yep. Kinda painful with text. The built-in package compression sometimes
helps, but usually doesn't get better than 2:1 for books. I remember Paul
(Guyot) and I ran into this problem over the summer while working on
Fortunes. The fortune packages were double the size of the original text,
and package compression barely helped. So we ended up using binary
objects containing the ASCII text, or something like that, to break the
need for double-byte characters.