Re: [NTLK] Checking in / iPod Comments...

From: Mark Rollins (mark_at_mrollins.com)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 12:14:42 EST

From: Sushi <Sushi_at_ragingbull.com>

>Is MP3 sound quality comparable to CD's?
Nope, it's absolutely horrible (strident, compressed, lack of deep bass,
compressed soundstage, collapsed depth, lack of transients) on any
decent stereo system, in a quiet house, IMEO. It's fine for headphones
or the car where ambient noise and system deficiencies mask the
shortcomings. Although when playing Ozzy Osbourne with the volume set at
'11' these shortcomings don't reallly matter.

>Is the iPod an expensive MP3 player?
Is an Acura or a Porche an expensive car? For what it is and does, it
seems to be underpriced.

>What other MP3 player options are there?
Dozens. My favorite is to convert an MP3 back into the audio format
(AIFF file) and burn a music CD. My portable CD player was $29.95; I can
play these disks anywhere (car, DVD player, someone elses house, work, etc.)

>Should the iPod be windows compatible?
Sure, when Win/Tel boxes (see a previous flame-baiting post) come with
FireWire built in. Not a card, not a 'USB to FireWire converter'. Any
year now they'll all have EtherNet from the factory, so probably by 2008
they'll all have FireWire.

Of course long before then Apple will have released their 'reborn' Newton.

--
Mark Rollins
mark_at_mrollins.com