Re: [NTLK] Off-Topic Linux (PDA) Question

From: David Orriss Jr (dave_at_davenet.net)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 15:07:30 EST

Personally, I don't think it's all that alluring. The biggest advantage I
suppose is that you have all of those GPL'ed tools that you can use to
compile against linux. But for my Linux is my general purpose OS (along
with win2k). I didn't enjoy WinCE on a PDA, and I'm concerned that in
making linux fit in a PDA we will see some of the same shortcomings service.

However, the jury is still out for me at this point. I'd like to see a
JavaOS PDA. Considering all the Java work I do, that would rock.. :)

At 02:42 PM 10/30/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>Hello All,
>
> With my studies, and life en general, I have not had a chance to delve
>into computer programming much, even though I would like to. However I have
>often heard the praises of a linux OS and was wondering, especially in
>light of a new linux based PDA, what makes this type of system so alluring?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Sam

>Always remember, "Ad astra per aspera"...
>

>email:
> jacobson98_at_earthlink.net
> or
> sjacobso_at_chuma.cas.usf.edu
>
>Lab. Telephone (via Dr. Susan Bell): 813-974-5420
>
>SnailMail:
> Department of Biology
> University of South Florida
> SCA 110
> 4202 East Fowler Avenue
> Tampa, Florida, 33620
>

>--

David Orriss Jr.
dave_at_davenet.net
http://www.davenet.net
ICQ UIN: XXXXXX (please ask if you want to talk via ICQ)
Linux - Chicken Soup for the Unix Soul