Re: [NTLK] Build your own Newton

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 18:04:38 EST

on 10/30/01 10:18 PM, Laurent Daudelin at laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com
wrote:

> As long as you're not extracting or trying to reverse-engineer the content
> of the ROM, you should be fine. Some readers here might remember the
> Outbound (?) laptops many years ago. These were the first real Macintosh
> laptops, way before the first Macintosh Portable. The ROMs from those
> computers were coming, IIRC, from Mac Plus ROM chips.

I thought about those, but I think the difference in that case was that you
had to have the actual, physical chip, which meant that there no longer was
another, working computer. With this Palm clone, you can flash a ROM without
removing it. In other words, you don't have to actually own the ROM, but can
simply copy it from a friend's Palm. Am I correct in my analysis? :-)

--
Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry