Re: [NTLK] Off-Topic Linux (PDA) Question

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 10:55:00 EST

>> Useful stuff written in java tends to be BIG compared to other development
>> options, although the cross-platform side is definitely nice.
>
>But does that not tend to override one of the supposed benefits of
>Java--transportability over networks??

<shrug>

most networks have enough bandwidth to move 18 meg files around :)

but as to impacting cross-platform use which is what I think you meant,
well, most people aren't trying to run java on PDAs or wristwatches or
whatever. It's platform-independant more so than other currently present
options, but sure it's not for every toaster or watch or PDA or Amiga or
whatever that has some sort of CPU (WABA maybe... :)

I've been impressed (only of late) with a few java applications like I
mentioned earlier. But that's a fairly recent thing (in my experience)-
stable and useable java implementation of a app that's useful to me.

But that I could fire up Crushftp with the latest MRJ on a 66MHz PPC and
have it work well, be stable, and saturate 10bT. I was impressed! And it
is reported to work nicely on MacOS, windows, X, OS/X, Linux, whatever.
So- pretty neat stuff. More things need to be like that!