Re: [NTLK] Analog / Digital / MP3 / so forth

From: Way (firstvln_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 11:59:34 EST

Jon Glass wrote:
>on 10/31/01 12:49 AM, R Pickett at emerson_at_hayseed.net wrote:
>
>> That follows for analog versus digital. Every single mass-market analog
>> format is destructive on playback. Tapes shed oxide, vinyl ablates.
>> Every time you play it back, it sounds subtly worse. Digital media
>> (tapes excluded) don't suffer from this. It sounds the same every
>> time. Is that 'as good?' Your mileage may vary. I saw a comment
>> comparing vinyl copies of classical albums to CD's of the same material,
>> calling the vinyl 'warm' and the CD 'tinny.' That may well be the case
>> for a combination of several reasons:
>
>The comment was that many audiophiles, when CDs first came out complained of
>this phenomenon. I also gave a one explanation as to why they thought this.
>Personally, I thought this argument went away years ago. :-)

I was the one that made the 'warm' .vs 'tinny' comment. I worked at a
Tower Records when LPs were avalailable when CDs were starting out and
we had a few comparisons with the same LP/CD recordings. The systems
were nice but not audiophile quality, and we could definitely hear a
difference in the tonal characteristics of recordings. Not to toot my horn
here, but being a professional violinist I've listen very critically to my
classical music ever since I was a child. Anyway, nowadays I listen only
to CDs; the sound doesn't bother me and they are sure clear! It's like
looking at two TVs side by side - they look different at the store but
when you take them home and watch it a lot, it looks pretty good!

Way Wong
http://home.earthlink.net/~firstvln/violin.html