Re: [NTLK] [OT] Checking in / iPod Comments...

From: Marco Mailand (newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 15:01:34 EST

Michael J. Hu=DFmann wrote:
>> With the latter two, you're forcing the system at a
>> harmonic frequency below the base (swing's) frequency.
> In this case, one system (me) oscillating at a frequency f is causing
> another system (the swing) to oscillate at 2f or 3f. Nothing mysterious
> about that, but I fail to see how this analogy relates to harmonics
> (_components_ of a _single_ oscillation) at all. At any case, calling the
> pushing frequency the harmonic (rather than the frequency of the swing,
> which to me at least would make slightly more sense) seems to be arbitrar=
y.
Consider this: A single short impulse will excite all possible harmonics of
an oscillator. This means you excite with a single pulse with much higher
base frequency than the oscillator is capable of, but a small part of the
excitation energy at lower frequencies is enough to excite the oscillator o=
its base frequency. Okay, I lost a little bit what it has to do with the
iPod/Newton/ahem_what_at_all_was_this_list_about ;-)

--=20
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand
http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing