Re: [NTLK] [OT] Checking in / iPod Comments...

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 15:33:34 EST

at the temporal coordinates: 10/31/01 3:17 PM, the entity known as Michael
J. Hu=DFmann at michael_at_michael-hussmann.de conveyed the following:

>=20
> Marco Mailand (newton2k1_at_mac.com) wrote:
>=20
>> This means you excite with a single pulse with much higher
>> base frequency than the oscillator is capable of
>=20
> So what is the base frequency of a single pulse ...?
>=20
> - Michael
>=20

This is where it gets good. A _pulse_ (spike in an intensity vs. time
graph, or a delta-function for those that speak math as a second language)
is composed of ALL frequencies. That is, the Fourier transform is a
constant. [Hint: do a web search on "impulse radar" and I bet you find
something that explains this...]

As a practical matter, the pulse is likely more like a square wave (w/o an
infinitely abrupt rise/fall). One could speak of the "base" frequency of a
'pulse' like that as being the pseudo-CW tone during the plateau portion of
the 'pulse'. But, in general, confining the signal in time like this means
that in frequency space there are MANY components.

(Feels good to exercise these creaky mental bones on a topic I haven't
touched in WAY too many years...)

- Eric.