Re: [NTLK] Checking in / iPod Comments...

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 20:46:47 EST

Marco Mailand (newton2k1_at_mac.com) wrote:

> Okay, I've tried the lossless compression:
> I took a short song, Blur's Woohoo, 44.1kHz/16bit w/ only 21394998 Bytes an=
> compressed it with CompactPro: 22725499 Bytes.
> Stuffit get's it down to: 19796675 Bytes which is 93% or 80min sound on a
> 74min CD. I think AIFF is not a very comfortable source for compression
> which might be the reason for the development of the MP3 compression.

Yes, LZW and similar lossless compression techniques aren't ideally
suited for compressing audio. Something analoguous to lossless JPEG2000
would be much better. Transforming the original signal into an equivalent
form that is optimally suited for compression is an important part of any
compression algorithm, be it lossy or lossless.

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de
WWW: http://michael-hussmann.de