Re: [NTLK] Help, My 2100er screen is going crazy

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Sep 01 2001 - 00:51:04 EDT

Yes, as you probably already know, this is
affectionatly (not!) called "the Jaggies".
My Newt had a bad case of the Jaggies for about a
year. It got progressivly worse until eventually the
Newt became unusable and I was seriously considering
switching platforms! I did everything. I opened up the
Newt and cleaned the contacts on the mylar ribbon
cable. (the last time I did this, I cracked the
mounting post that the clamp screws into...why make
such an important piece out of plastic?) removed the
screen and throuroughly cleaned the inside of the
case. I placed wedges of old business cards around the
edges of the plastic case. I tried to write without
touching the edge of the Newt. I wiped and destroyed
everthing on the Newt...all to no avail! Eventally,
the newt started to show signs of my frustration (I
broke the main front cover off one day in a fit of
rage when the Newt refused to calibrate!) The Newt
fought back valiantly by performing an odd accrobatic
motion of spinning on the desk wildly and smashing
into the computer monitor, breaking off the lid in the
process!. Eventually other things began to fail. IRDa,
I/O port, screen scratches...My Newt was ready for one
of two fates. Apple repair or the garbage pail. In an
unprecedented act of selflessness (and the OK from the
wife to have my "brain" repaired) I sent the newt to
Apple for a full overhaul.
Yup, that's what did it. I no longer have the Jaggies
and me and my Newt are happy together once again (but
it seems that the interconnect port is bad once again
and one of the little clippy things broke off of the
back...Damn!)
In hindsight, I had no realization of just how bad the
Newt was! Now that it is fixed, I have easily 100%
recognition (thanks to alt-rec, I can see it's true
value)
Ed
Web/gadget guru
--- Dominik Westner <lists_at_logicunited.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> my 2100er looses its calibration within minutes.
> Sometimes it is not
> possible to calibrate it at all.
>
> I have read a suggestion on one of the newton
> websites to put a thick
> paper between the screen and the enclosure in the
> corners of the screen.
>
> Actually this helped for a while. But now it's back
> again.
>
> Does anybody have an idea what's the reason for this
> and how to get this
> fixed?

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...