Re: [NTLK] LANUG meeting

From: Woo Lee (vitcitylb_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Sep 01 2001 - 05:43:01 EDT

Well, we had our 12 th. meeting Thursday night/Friday morning(Sorry Paul F.
 ;-) ). From 7 pm to 2 am., thanks to Eleu for hosting another great night
of food, fun, jokes, Newtons, and Newtons, and even more Newtons...yes some
were from other members not just me. LOL!
It all started at 6:30 pm, Aug. 30. Escaped from work, got 3 dozen Krispy
Kreme donuts, stopped at REI and got the Swiss Army Cybertool for the
installations.
7:55 pm(yeah that's LA traffic), arrived at Eleu's. Met up with everybody
and Loren F.
8:15 after getting some food and drink, I sat on the floor trying to decide
which Newt. would get the first SER-001 installed. After the second bite
of Italian sausage I picked up of course the AMP2KU. I opened it up thanks
to my new trusty Cybertool and WHOA!, TWO PIX SOLUTIONS IMPLANTS!!! One
for CPU overclocking and the other to maintain the real time clock. Due to
the even more cramped space I wasn't able to install the SER-001 in my
AMP2KU. I'm awaiting for word from Dr.Newton about this possibility to
have both the implant and SER-001 installed in the same machine at the same
time, even though they can't be used at the same time.. In the mean time I
had my Sony laptop ready to download software and test the soon to be
direct serial connection to my Newts. So that was strike one.
On to number 2 Newt. Installed the SER-001, plugged it in, IT WORKS!
First try to the Sony and connected. Also at 1:40 am, 9/01/2001 I'm using
the Newton external keyboard for the first time in four years. ;-).
Feeling good I moved onto the number 3 Newt. Installed the SER-001,
plugged it in...and NO GO. :-( Re-installed and still no-go. So I took
out the second SER-001 to install, plugged it in, and IT WORKED! I took
that off and re-installed the non-working SER-001 and still no-go.
Re-installed the one that did work and connected to the Sony at first try.
So I have one SER-001 that doesn't work, two that works great, and seven to
test...a long weekend I see. Oh well, THANKS David H.!!! The SER-001's
are great, I can finally put the 'dongle' back into the boxes that stays at
home!!!
The installation took only 20 min. each, 6 min. to open the Newt., 2 min.
to install the SER-001, 12 min. to close the Newt., well, you know lots of
little pieces kept walking towards Eleu's dip. The 'bump' is very slight,
at where the plastic cover was(for UMP2K's) the MP2100 sticker. No bother.
Well, after all the Newton-Talking, beer drinking, calorie consuming, and
looking at 'naked Newtons', we finally had to let Eleu get some sleep.
BTW, Loren, you said I had 500 cards??? Well, more like 52, with Paul's
future ATA driver it'll be just 2, one in the lower slot and one in my
pocket as backup.
You know, SNUG(Stanford's Newton Users Group) just had their second meeting
on Aug. 28., we are also meeting twice a month. Not bad for a 'dead
platform'. :-)
If anybody has any questions let me know.

Now, I can disconnect this keyboard, it's weird using an external keyboard
that takes more time to write this than using the Newt's. built-in HWR.
Maybe it's the 'seperation-anxiety' that I'm not holding my Newt. and using
an 'umbilical cord'???

Next meeting in two weeks at Fry's *IF* the 'east-So.Cal' members respond!
Let me and/or Martina know! Thanks Martina, co-chair who sent out the
mailings and gave great directions to Loren F. Hey Loren, you're welcome
anytime, it was a pleasure to meet you and thanks for the e-autographs! ;-)

!ooW %-)
My Newt. will still be productive way after the last Palm/Handspring
issix-feet under.
Pres. of Los Angeles Newton Users Group!
 http://www.newtontalk.net