Re: [NTLK] Newton Batteries

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Sat Sep 01 2001 - 10:54:40 EDT

on 9/1/01 2:00 AM, Chris Searles at csearles_at_netcologne.de wrote:

>> I would not recommend NiMH cells for the 130. But 1000mAh NiCads will
>> recharge in the machine with no problems. You'll also notice an improvement
>> over the Apple pack if you use a PCMCIA modem or the backlight a lot. The
>> NiCads recover from abuse very quickly.
>
> Will they also recharge as individual batteries in the Newton and will
> the docking/charging station (for the 130) recognize their load and
> signal a charged state or will this only occur in the form of a
> do-it-yourself battery pack? I'm asking cause I read somewhere that such
> functions are only possible with a battery pack and that individual
> batteries are better off being recharged in a separate battery charger.

    If you reassemble an Apple MP130 battery pack with NiCads (Radio Shack
1000 mAh cells for example) they will recharge in the Newt or in the
recharging dock. You can also install the NiCads in the Newt and use a piece
of cardboard to hold down the switch in the battery compartment to fool the
Newt into thinking there is a battery pack installed ... they will recharge
in the Newt then.
    DON'T try this with other rechargeables such as NiMH or Alkaline!