Re: [NTLK] NTK1.6.4 MacOS9.1 memory problems

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 05:04:31 EDT

> It's more or less equivalent to control-alt-command-esc and then
> clicking on Quit.
I think you don't need to press alt, on my Mac it works with ctrl-cmd-esc
and sometimes kills the actually 'running' application.

> Ctrl-Alt-Power doesn't do anything here.
That's reset :-)

> I don't think you need so much main heap. And by 8 & 32, I mean 8 MB
> of main heap and 32 MB of build heap.
Meanwhile I could successfully compile the map, w/ 16MB main and 32MB heap.
But I had to omit three pieces of the map which where anyway white only. 3
other pieces I saved in 2 bit greys, because they contained only the legend
text.
Finally the map pkg became 14.2MB and needed about 30min for installation
over AppleTalk. Painful but it worked. I'll soon publish this map for the
Newton community, if anyone is interested.

> The big problem I see is that the resulting map will be a very very
> huge package.
However, the map opens quickly and scrolls quite smoothly on a 1MB heap
machine and GPSmap's own '61 fix turned off. I've to check now the
coordinate calibration with my GPS receiver.

Paul (or others which know more about NS)
I got one question regarding the IF THEN ELSE statement in NTK. I wanted to
exclude some Tiles from beeing read in by NTK by means of an IF THEN within
two nested FOR loops, but was not successful. NTK complains probably about
a missing ';' or other special character, but I have no idea why. My NS book
says IF THEN does not need a ';' but there are some from other commands. How
can I put all these commands into one block w/o ';' ? It looks like this:

FOR X=0 TO xmax DO
  FOR Y=0 TO ymax DO BEGIN
  Filname := HOME & "T_" & STR(X) & "_" & STR(Y) & ".BMP"
  // IF Filename <> HOME & "T_3_0.BMP" THEN // this does NOT work !!!
  TRY
    rf := Open...
  ONEXCEPTION ...
END;

Sorry if I made syntaktic errors. I don't have the source handy right now
and write only the most important from memory.
I tried to surround the THEN-part with a DO BEGIN...END thing but also w/o
success. I know, I should RTFM...

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing