Re: [NTLK] Holy crap! (formerly Re: Info-Newt.com)

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 12:32:06 EDT

>>Ed wrote:
>>What I do have is iDSL through
>>DSL.net at $135/month
>
>James then wrote:
>Dang! I have a cable connection and it only costs
>me 25 bucks a month. I don't see how such a sum
>would be worth it.

I would suggest that you reread his original comment. He stated:

"I seem to be in a "broad-band dead-zone" right in the middle of
Virginia's silicon alley!"

So it appears that Ed doesn't have much choice if he wants faster than
dial up access.

Not all of us have been so fortunate as to be able to get broadband
easily and cheaply. I chose ADSL over cable due to the initial costs.
ADSL was minimal compared to cable. Since my apartment building was not
wired for cable, they would have to bring the feed from the street to the
building, wire my apartment, plus do the normal installation stuff. Cost
was going to be around $1,000!

Is it worth it?

Well, when you consider I've been paying around $140-$160 to the
telephone company (NTT) for local phone calls (they aren't free like in
the states) each month -- it would have been!

I was ready to go for cable. Then my area got ADSL service. So I opted
for it and saved a whole lot of money. It's not as fast, but good enough
for what I need right now.

So I can understand Ed's comment. No let me say that differently, I can
empathize with his situation.

Sushi