Re: [NTLK] Holy crap! (formerly Re: Info-Newt.com)

From: jimthej (jimthej_at_pacbell.net)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 15:33:37 EDT

on 9/3/01 11:31 AM, Eric L. Strobel at fyzycyst_at_home.com wrote:

>> "I seem to be in a "broad-band dead-zone" right in the middle of
>> Virginia's silicon alley!"
>>
> For the life of me, I can't think of where that could be. I thought that
> pretty much all the cable companies in the area had rolled out their
> internet access. I'd have to look, but I'm pretty sure I've had mine for
> 3-4 years already.
Wake up. There are lots of high-speed dead zones. I have a friend across
town (Bakersfield, CA) who wants high speed access. People less than 1/4
mile from him have it. His cable supplier (Cox) won't do it and PacBell
hasn't yet. Supposedly PacBell is putting fiber to their "B" boxes to speed
up telephone and internet access. When that happens he will come "alive" but
that may not be for another year or more.

Jim Johnston
Teacher
Mac Smacker
Newton User