Re: [NTLK] Holy crap!

From: System Support Products, Inc. (sspi_at_ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 15:54:04 EDT

At 2:31 PM -0400 9/3/01, Eric L. Strobel wrote:
>somewhere near the temporal coordinates of 9/3/01 12:32 PM, the entity known
>as Sushi transmitted the following from Sushi_at_ragingbull.com:
>
>> "I seem to be in a "broad-band dead-zone" right in the middle of
>> Virginia's silicon alley!"
>>
>> So it appears that Ed doesn't have much choice if he wants faster than
>> dial up access.
>
>For the life of me, I can't think of where that could be. I thought that
>pretty much all the cable companies in the area had rolled out their
>internet access. I'd have to look, but I'm pretty sure I've had mine for
>3-4 years already.

    Here in Annandale (inside the DC beltway) we haven't had any
broadband option at all until recently. Verizon wouldn't provide it
because of the distance, and also refused to provision a line for
Covad to provide IDSL (they would not remove any load coils). I
switched to the new Cavalier telco, and by law Verizon had to provide
them the line. My previously "unserviceable" line now has SDSL 256K
for $49 a month. Since it's a business account, I also have a static
IP with no restrictions or port blocks of any kind.

    As far as cable, my neighbor just got the first digital line in
the neighborhood last week, so that's just now starting to enter the
picture here, and only for residential service. This means no
servers, much more strictly enforced since Code Red from what I've
heard.

    This is 17 miles from the White House, "capital" of the free
world, yet it's like a third world country.

    Regards,

    - Lou Forlini
      Software Engineer
      System Support Products, Inc.