[NTLK] Tibet dissapointment with Coolpix 990

From: Ken Whitcomb (ken_at_imageguild.com)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 23:22:03 EDT

Well, after spending the afternoon wrenching on my web server, I thought I'd
finally seek out an 8MB Compact flash card to try in my Nikon 990 with
Tibet. None of the chain retailers had anything smaller than 16MB. I finally
found one in a case at a locally owned computer store in town. $26.95 plus
the 6% sales tax sent me packing home with my hopes high and humming a happy
tune.

It certainly works well enough (although even at "basic" setting, one can't
fit too many photos on this little card) in the camera.

So I connected the camera and my 2100, launched Tibet, chose "Show photos on
camera", and held my breath.

Same error as before.

So apparently Nikon dropped the Sierra Imaging software when they switched
from the 950 to the 990. At least I can still use the $40 990 to serial
cable with one of my pre-USB machines and the camera. Additionally, it
wasn't as if I had to buy a 128 MB CF card to test this setup. One can
always use more memory!

Well, now that that balloon has burst, I'm back to begging Compass for the
binaries. Stay tuned on this front but don't hold your breath.

Also, I've got this Dragon Demo thing to wrestle with. I showed it to my
children tonight and they had a ball (as we say here in the states) watching
the Newton display the names of the states they were speaking into the
microphone. One of them ran to get a map of the US so they could try all of
the names.

Mark, I'll try your suggestions regarding looking for a hidden file. I have
yet to try installing it on another Newt, hopefully I can accomplish this
without falling asleep.

Best,

Ken Whitcomb