Re: [NTLK] The Value of Synching (was: Soups and the Newton's downfall)

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 02:01:05 EDT

--- Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net> wrote:

> on 9/6/01 4:16 PM, Ken Whitcomb at
> ken_at_imageguild.com wrote:
>
> > What is my point? Synching is cool, but way
> overrated in my humble opinion.
>
> It is essential to me. I may add info either while
> on the road, at a
> meeting, or even on the phone at home, where the
> computer isn't convenient.
> I may also add names at the computer, or on the
> phone when the Newton isn't
> convenient.
<snip>

The Newton NOT CONVENIENT?!?!? acckkk! My ears...I
think they're bleeding! oops, I guess I read that...My
Eyes! they're...oh! you get the point.
really though. When is my Newt NOT convenient? At
work, our computers are "locked" down (as if I can't
hack into them though) to allow the support guys
access to the machines when ever they like. I don't
put any documents on my computer that I feel is
important! (I share a folder on my desktop that is
linked to an FTP site that I visit with my Newt to
grab the latest documents I want on my Newt...but most
of the time, my most important documents are generated
on my newt entirely and since everything I do is web
based, I just ftp them up to the necessary departments
or email the documents!) My Newt is by my side 24
hours a day! It's constantly locked and only I know
the magic code to access it! My Newt is the most
convenient device I have ever used. It's so
convenient, my co-workers are beginning to rely on it
for information, "Hey Ed, what's the password we used
on those servers 2 years ago?" or, "hey Ed, can you
send me a copy of your notes on the migration meeting
this morning from your Newton?" or, "hey Ed, what's
the number for the local Dominoes?" me, "uh, let me
pull up the website wirelessly with my StarTac cell
phone and dial it for you!"
It's gotten to the point where the only reason I use
Outlook at work is because the email is on
Exchange...but the important emails I forward to my
Newton's email address!
I don't Sync, I have never synced and I never will
sync...and while I know that others rely on
synching...I personally have no use for it and find it
to be a ho-hum feature that is best left out of any
future personal device! (less dependance on desk-bound
boat anchors called desk-top PCs...
Hmmmm, now if only I could TALK to my Newton and have
it obey my commands...whoa...what a dream!
Ed
Web/gadget guru

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...