[NTLK] How to Create an Abandoned Car

From: C.W. Otto Sohn (oky_at_avalon.net)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 04:35:58 EDT

> Where do you draw the line with this? You may say your car with a
>flat is "parked", I say you left it there too long so it is
>"abandoned". Thanks for the parts.

To add one more to the issue abandoning software/cars:

Take the example of the City of Chicago:

If you leave your car on the street (for x number of days without moving
it) the city will come and impound it. They'll tow it to the impound lot
and auction it off after a while, unless you claim your vehicle and pay the
impounding and towing fees. When they take the car they don't even ask if
you intended to abandon that vehicle. Sure, it's still legally yours (you
still hold the title), but they'll sell it to "cover the impounding costs"
etc. Really, when it comes to cars, you have to come forward and claim
what's yours; otherwise the car is a has-been. (And I'm not talking about
having your car dismembered by some "scavenger" -- it's the city...).

So, draw your legal conclusions about software.

Otto