Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V1 #181 (copyright discussion)

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 09:24:20 EDT

at the temporal coordinates: 9/6/01 11:23 PM, the entity known as Ken
Whitcomb at ken_at_imageguild.com conveyed the following:

> Eric,
> Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad to understand your meaning better
> now.
>
> To take a step on Bloom's ladder now, one could make an argument based on
> your interpretation (not necessarily US copyright law as it has come to be
> known today though) that it is aggregious for a software publisher to
> incorporate any sort of copy-protection that lasts beyond a reasonable
> amount of time (I gather that you'd say 7 to 14 years) because the common
> good demands that law not repress benefits and advancements that will come
> from the free use of such work. Would you concur?

Absolutely. Is there any software company that's still profiting from 14
year old software (it's probably a stretch to find any that still market s/w
from even 7 years ago)?? I think that the US 'Founding Fathers' would
assert that these companies had ridden that horse into the ground and it's
time to let it out to pasture.

Oh, and everyone, please note, once again, that I'm NOT talking current,
actual copyright law, but rather discussing what I've read of Jefferson &
Co.'s opinions about intellectual property. WAY too many people have been
missing that point.

> Ken Whitcomb
>
>> From: "Eric L. Strobel" <fyzycyst_at_home.com>
>>
>> And the example you give is a very good one, although I'd say that,
>> since the picture has already come under public scrutiny, I'm not sure where
>> I stand on giving you (as the copyright holder) the right to censor. But
>> regardless, what I'm saying is that MY interpretation is Jefferson and/or
>> Madison would likely say that you should not have the right to so control
>> this creation many years after the fact.

- Eric.