Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V1 #181 (copyright discussion)

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 13:38:58 EDT

at the temporal coordinates: 9/7/01 1:18 PM, the entity known as
Michael_Guzzo/Harmac_at_harmac.com at Michael_Guzzo/Harmac_at_harmac.com conveyed
the following:

> Eric L. Strobel <fyzycyst_at_home.com> wrote:
> --
> Is there any software company that's still profiting from 14
> year old software (it's probably a stretch to find any that still market
> s/w
> from even 7 years ago)??
> --
>
> MacOS - copyright 1983 to present
> WinWord - copyright 1983 to present
> Lotus Organizer 2.1 (still available for sale if you can find it) -
> copyright 1991 to 1996.

But Apple is not still selling System 1.0 (in fact, one can freely download
Systems up to 7.something), I don't know what the oldest version of Word is
that MS still actually sells, and I know nothing about Lotus. The point is
that while many companies are still selling updated versions of software
from years past, few, if any, companies are still selling the EXACT software
they sold 14 years ago.

Note too that I'm NOT saying that the SOURCE should be made available. The
expression of the idea that we're concerned about is an executable for our
Newts that is potentially accessible, but can't legally be used due to
copyright laws.

- Eric.