Re: [NTLK] Soups and the Newton's downfall (Re: Clarity Memory Issue)

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 16:04:16 EDT

on 9/7/01 5:15 PM, Richard G. DAVIS at msys1_at_charter.net wrote:

>> design. One lack--no hwr. I can't stand grafitti, and could never get
>> accustomed to the limits of such a system... That's my break point. :-)
>
> Remember, that Grafitti grew out of the failure of the early Newton line to
> be capable of doing handwriting recognition at human writing speeds....

Trust me, I remember. I also remember trying to use Grafitti on my 1.3
Newton as well as Gesture Mosaic (a better, and free system) and also gave
up on that, prefering the natural writing style, complete with errors.
Actually, I stuck with it, and eventually "prevailed" over the Newton's
shortcomings was was able to write on that old thing about 25 wpm with
almost no errors. :-)

Maybe prevail wasn't the better term to use in the first case. Ah, that is
the foible of email. We write what sounds good to us at the moment, and only
moments after hitting the send button, we think of a better way to say what
we said, or worse, when we see our own words twisted out of their original
intent by someone else. Sorry to do that to you in your case. I see what you
meant. :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland