Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V1 #181 (copyright discussion)

From: Stainless Steel Rat (ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 17:39:06 EDT

* "Eric L. Strobel" <fyzycyst_at_home.com> on Fri, 07 Sep 2001
| And, no doubt, you would have a huge competitive advantage in that product
| area if the laws were that copyright ended after a 14 year period. If
| someone else tried to market *their* version of MUMPS, you'd likely crush
| them in the marketplace.

Which has nothing to do with copyright because MUMPS is an open standard.
Anyone can write and distribute an implementation of MUMPS if they want.
There are, in fact, four implementations that I am aware of.

--
Rat <ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net>    \ Warning: pregnant women, the elderly, and
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ children under 10 should avoid prolonged