Re: [NTLK] ON TOPIC: my new MP130! (UniFEP)

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 18:09:02 EDT

>What is strange is that there are no extra options for the keyboard, no
>different fonts... how does one access what is in the pkg? I have tried
>PkgBuddy to at least save it for later, but since it is a storage item, it
>can't be extracted! Ah well. Time to scrub.

if it's a storage item, it's not a package, it's a soup or an icon
for several soups. I think it's something that the actual package
created, but it's totally useless as is.

>And after attempting that... well at least now I know that the icon was
>empty:
>"Location **RAM, Items 0, Size 1K" And I cannot delete, or scrub out a
>storage icon.

and apparently, empty.
In certain circumstances, soups or soup icons can't be deleted. But
since it's a new unit, I'll suggest a brain wipe.
If you really don't want to do a brain wipe, I could try to remember
how to cleanly remove this icon (which indeeds takes some room since
it's present).

>But now the Power Switch is so funky I cannot get the Hard Reset dialog up.

I'd suggest to open the case. MP1x0 are much easier to open than
MP2x00 and there is no risk at breaking a clip or whatever. Cleaning
the power switch may help.

>It simply always comes on after doing a soft reset. Next step, remove both
>battery types and leave overnight? Perhaps this is burned into the ROM (do I
>have a Japanese 130??), and I am stuck with no package names, only icons?

I vaguely recall that the Japanese MP130 came with a US ROM (for most
of them) plus a system patch, or a modified US ROM which basically
integrates the system patch. All this was meant to be used with
software which came with the units (such as UniFEP).
I hope for you that you have the US ROM. If you do, you'll need to
get rid of the system patch anyway. Once you got rid of it, you might
need to tell the ROM to restore the built-in items to their US names
if ever they have a non US one (to do this, simply do a brain wipe),
but I think they don't.

Indeed, I think that the reason why you don't have name of icons is
that either they use characters that your font doesn't print (but you
would have squares), or the system font is set to a font that you
don't have (I'm pretty sure it's the case) or both (this is also
possible) or there is a prefs in the Extras Drawer that let you not
have the name of the packages (I don't think it's the case here).

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/