Re: [NTLK] More on law

From: Chet Johns (tcjohns_at_home.com)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 21:39:24 EDT

As a subscriber to this forum I find this discussion intellectually
stimulating (even the occasional flames). I don't have much to contribute,
and yes receiving 100 plus emails on the topic daily can make for quick
filling of the mailbox, but since most have the same or similar subject line
it would be easy to filter or direct to a folder.

What I find more interesting is that this same discussion is occurring
simultaneously on several forums I subscribe to. A core group of Word
Perfect for Mac users are debating the legality of upgrading the code for
that program as Corel has announced it no longer plans to support or develop
WP for Mac (Microsoft probably the culprit there too). There are other
pieces of abandonware which have not outlived their usefulness and user
groups are trying to determine if patching this software to run on current
operating systems is legal.

I enjoy the tips on hardware and software as I try to make the Newton more
useful in my everyday work. It's a product that was well ahead of its time
technologically speaking (speaking as a former palm user). I'm interested in
the backlight project and have added the SER-001 to each of my Newtons. I am
in the process of digging through boxes of software in order to find my
original copies of Now up to date and apple scheduler in order to work on
schedule synching. All of your comments have been useful in those endeavors.

However, I for one do not desire these threads on copyright and abandonware
to end. Many on this forum have spent many hours tracking down authors or
companies and have successfully obtained registration codes or permission to
post programs. I recently obtained a copy of Virtual Intern from the author
and have been engrossed in this program. I enjoy the many thought provoking
discussions along this topic line.

I have also recently bought several pieces of Newton Software in an attempt
to support those good programs and authors who are still supporting their
software. I appreciate the recommendations of others on this forum before
laying down my hard earned moneys.

Many of the comments have been well thought out or researched and, as one
who used to brag about pirating software and breaking copy protection
schemes (did someone say Napster), it has made me look close at my previous
rationalization. After all, it is theft, petty theft, but theft by current
legal standards regardless of whether you are caught or not. Thanks to all.
You may now continue. By the way, how many people subscribe to this forum
anyway?

Chet Johns
Roanoke, VA (valley of the technologically impaired)