Re: [NTLK] More on law

From: Stainless Steel Rat (ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 23:51:56 EDT

* Paul Nuernberger <pen1_at_spiff.net> on Fri, 07 Sep 2001
| Even if it were centuries later, the idea/concept is still yours. You
| created it. Do you have the right of singular control over that idea, or
| how it is used to create new ideas in perpetuity ? Should you ?

I like to think not. Consider this: ideas are copyrightable once set down
in tangible form, such as scribbling some random musings on a piece of
parchment. Imagine if you can a world in which nobody could read "The
Purloined Letter" because Edgar Allen Poe died before he could place it
into the Public Domain.

At the extreme, copyright in perpetuity would do more harm to yourself than
good, as it would prevent your ideas from spreading as I assume you want
given the fact that you published them in the first place.

--
Rat <ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net>    \ Happy Fun Ball contains a liquid core,
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ which, if exposed due to rupture, should