Re: [NTLK] Only for your needs......Re: The Futility of a PDF reader

From: David Arnold (arnold_at_dstc.monash.edu.au)
Date: Sat Sep 08 2001 - 08:22:26 EDT

-->"Sean" == ThisOlNewt <ThisOlNewt_at_aol.com> writes:

  Sean> Its nice because its a crossplatform way to exchange
  Sean> information. Id love to be able to grab those docs and have em
  Sean> on my Newton ta boot.

if you have a unix box, ghostscript includes two helpful utilities:
pdf2ps and ps2ascii. the combination of these, and an email client,
gives me reasonable access to PDF on my newt ...

sadly, ghostscript isn't happy with all PDF (or postscript) the
acrobat is. still, it's a good subset.

if we were to get really carried away here, we could always put a CGI
script on the web somewhere that took the URL of a PDF doc, and
produced a newtonbook for you ...