Re: [NTLK] New Newton

From: gopi_at_sin.sloth.org
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 13:06:50 EDT

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Marco Mailand wrote:
> What about porting NOS onto e.g. a iPAQ unit? Maybe the boot system of the
> iPAQ could be cheated or changed? Okay, nobody has the sourcecode of NOS nor
> the iPAQ boot sequence... :-(

http://www.handhelds.org if you want info about the iPAQ boot
sequence. The bootloader source for linux is published and open and
available; I have traced through the source of the first few hundred
instructions that are executed by the strongarm CPU when it gets turned
on.

Knowledge of the ipaq is unlikely to be the problem with this. Switching
it from little endian to big endian, and figuring out a lot of aspects of
the Newton side may be more troublesome. Anyway, if people here want to
work on this, it's a possible project. But I don't have the time, and Paul
of course has much more important projects he's doing for us...

gopi.