Re: [NTLK] The Futility of a PDF reader

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 15:59:51 EDT

on 9/9/01 7:38 PM, Grant [SpeakText] Hutchinson at grant_at_splorp.com wrote:

> Point taken. But wouldn't a text-only reader be at least a start in the
> right direction? It would certainly beat the online and offline
> PDF-to-text (or html) solutions that are currently at our disposal. Any
> solution that is self-contained Newton-side has my vote - if for no other
> reason than convenience.
>
> Yes, I would love to see fully graphics-laden PDF rendering on my Newton,
> but if one of the road blocks to a native reader is the display of the
> graphics, let's veer around that issue for now and prove the basic
> concept first.

Isn't this discussion rather moot, as PDF files don't necessarily store text
as text, per say, but as ps script or something similar? In other words,
isn't extracting the text just as complicatd as extracting the graphics?
Yes, you do usually have color in graphics, as far as the text goes, it's
not going to be a simple affair either, at least if my reading of my Acrobat
documents is correct. Could somebody correct me if I'm wrong??

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland