Re: [NTLK] Info-Newt

From: Bill davis newton (newton_at_mail.ecity.net)
Date: Mon Sep 10 2001 - 10:32:36 EDT

Actually, there is a good chance that Info-Newt is gone for good. I
had so many problems with Qwest getting my DSL line moved to my new
place. Ever time a problem was found, that pushed the schedule back 10
more business days because they had to do a brain reset and restart
everything. I got fed up with that after about 3 weeks and I finally
told them to shove it and (in TWO business days!) got a cable modem
(Mediacom @Home) that's faster and cheaper..

@Home, however, doesn't allow servers, and currently has TCP/IP port 80
(the http port) closed due to the Code Red virus, which is still out
there causing problems.

Stay away from Qwest DSL. Especially now that Microsoft (MSN) has
bought out all their residential customers. Qwest was already
incompetent, now they'll be (a) more expensive, (b) poorer quality, (c)
less responsive.

See what they mean about "the customer is always right" and "a
disattisfied customer will tell at least 10 people.". I've told way
more than that face-to-face, and a thousand or so folks here on this
list.

Also, I really don't use Newtons anymore and haven't had time or
interest in updating the site in over 6 months. So I don't see much
point in bringing the site back up, except perhaps in a new form as a
more generic "Macs and PDAs" web site and/or personal weblog. IF I can
get the server working at all, and assuming AT&T doesn't find out and
object.

I may fiddle around with using dyndns.org or similar services and see
if they can redirect "www.info-newt.com" to my ip address AND some
other port when I have time, but right now, I don't know when or if
that will be. I'm still unpacking from my move, etc. No time for it.
I can't even find time to keep up with most of NewtonTalk, although I
try to hit the high points by checking the message titles. The PDA
related discussions are still interesting!

 - Bill Davis
   Webmaster, Info-Newt.com