Re: [NTLK] Outage

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Sep 15 2001 - 01:43:09 EDT

Well, since thursday evening at 5:00pm, eastern, my
DSL has been down. My DSL provider DSL.net has told me
that due to the shortage of power, certain "mega-hubs"
in the NYC area have been affected and may be off line
for an undetermined length of time. And since all of
MY DSL provider's traffic goes through this hub (as
well as the traffic of several major providers whom
the rep I talked to didn't mention) then all traffic
stops at that point.
Hmmm, seems that someone needs to start playing around
with routing tables on some of the edge routers! I'm
surprised that DSL.net doesn't have redundant routes
in order to re-route traffic from problem areas...
This sucks, but considering the circumstances, heck,
not having DSL is the least of any one's
problems...I'm willing to sacrifice...I still have my
14.4 modem! (I'm on one of my servers...my desktop
crashed and is waiting for a replacement HD from
Western Digital...that machine has a 56k modem...my
servers only have 14.4...heck, all they do is
DNS/Active directory and mail stuff...who needs a fast
modem for that)

Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Paul Nuernberger <pen1_at_spiff.net> wrote:

> Man is my typing atrocious today .. newtonyalk ????
> Time for some sleep ??
> Nah, just more coffee !
>
> Paul Nuernberger
>

> > From: Paul Nuernberger <pen1_at_spiff.net>
> > Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 22:31:49 -0500
> > To: <newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net>
> > Subject: [NTLK] Outage
> >

> > As bill's server (guns-media.com) was also down,
> and IIRC it is the host for
> > newtonyalk ...
> >
> > Maybe a holdover from the situation in NY ?
> >
> > Paul Nuernberger
> >

> > --
> >

> --

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...