Re: [NTLK] Trade: Sharp Tripad/Vadem Clio for Newton 2x00?

From: Aron Hsiao (thoth_at_leapdragon.net)
Date: Sun Sep 16 2001 - 11:58:52 EDT

On Sunday 16 September 2001 12:48 am, you wrote:
> Hey, that looks like a groovy lil rig.. i bumped into an
> old buddy who had one, she was really happy with it (no,
> she never used a newton..).
>
> I like what i've seen of it. as long as you get rid of
> the icky icky WinCE and do this:
>
> http://www.ltc.com/linux-mips/clio.html
>

> well, not if you wanna use it like a pda,.. but still,
> linux on a tablet is freakin awesome.

Hello, fellow *nix user! I installed NetBSD on it for a
while using a 256MB CompactFlash card. Coolness factor was
fairly high watching the little thing become a
workstation, with development tools and everything. Thanks
to the build-in keyboard, it was more functional as a *nix
box than a friends' iPaq running Linux.

Really, CE 2.11 HPC/Pro isn't too bad either. For the sort
of work I was doing (taking class notes, writing papers,
managing deadlines+tasks), the built-in Pocket Word, Pocket
Excel and Pocket Outlook programs worked fairly well. And
when I found HPC Notes (one of the software packages I
added) it truly became my brain for a while -- in my
backpack.

But now that I'm out in the "real world" a PDA that's fully
the size of an 8.5"x11" paper notebook (which is close to
the size of the Tripad) is just too big. I love the large
color display when I look at it... but I don't love
carrying it around. :P Still, it IS good for making
friends... Everyone wants to know what the Tripad is --
"Woah, is that, like, a REALLY big palm pilot?" is a common
question when someone sees me scribbling on it. Of course,
it's a question that also explains why I've switched PDAs...