Re: [NTLK] How much is an eMate 300 upgrade worth?

From: THX 1138 (onefishtwofish_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 12:51:06 EDT

On 9/17/01, Robert Benschop quoth:
>The eMate does benefit a bit on the speed side, but can't say that that
>difference is so big that again it justifies this distinction.
>(you can speed it up with another crystal as well)

well, this depends on your usage of said emate. I've got my two here
(upgraded and un-upgraded) and on routine tasks (typing, opening
notes, dates, etc) they are only slightly different. The upgraded is
a bit faster, but not so much at to warrant a $200 upgrade (IMNSHO).

However, when I use a rather intensive program, ie. NewtPaint, a find
command or the Kung Fu game. the difference is huge. The un-upgraded
emate is almost unusable, and the upgraded handles it very well
indeed, not as well as my 2100, but noticeably better. This may be to
the 32 bit vs 16 bit memory path, and it's here that the upgrade
really shines. (still not $200 worth, but whatever)

Please note this is not scientific by any means, the two units have
different packages installed, memory card vs. no memory card etc. To
be fair, the upgraded emate has a lot more load on it, so let this
taint your perceptions as it may.

later,

--
ben.