Re: [NTLK] Newton and Pocket PC (Was Living with Palm and Newton)

From: John Johnson (kamikazebear_at_excite.com)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 19:12:47 EDT

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 16:17:31 +1200, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> Stephen said:
> I would be happy to give some feedback on my Pocket PC experiences if
> anyone on the list is interested.
> >
> > Stephen Beesley
>
> I'd certainly be keen to hear of your thoughts.
>
> Thanks,
> -Darl

I certainly would.
My first sighting of *any* pocketable "PC" was an ancient Psion: it looked
like a brick, had a keyboard in *alphabetic* order and had a tiny text-only
screen but I was visiting a political colleague and I had read a couple of
titles on the newt "The Wireless Newton" and the one on NSbasic, saw the
thing (which needed work done on it, though!) and fell in love but its owner
was reluctant to part with it.
Picked up a second hand MSDOS pocketable with a "reasonable" display, a mere
128k of memory and a penchant for penlight batteries but at least it was not
too demanding regarding the specifications of the machine to which it was
prepared to upload data but when I saw the eMate, rugged take-anywhere
construction, friendly keyboard, stylus for DIY artwork with a largish
high-resolution screen and I never looked back.
John J <|:-|