[NTLK] Newton (not quite) dead after nautical experience...

From: Hagen Lang (Hagen.Lang_at_t-online.de)
Date: Wed Sep 19 2001 - 19:24:55 EDT

Hello,
yesterday evening I spilt a glas of water, not recognizing
the liquid diffusing under my Newton 2100 (German).
After an hour I realized the tragedy but my 2k1 was totally dead.
Belabouring it with a hair dryer (though no moistly parts
were visible) for half an hour, and putting in an alternative
battery the screen is blinking in the rhythm

blink-blink-dark--blink-blink-dark--blink-blink-dark-- etc.

Putting in the original battery and power-plug results in nothing...
Putting the original battery in an alternative 2000 results in normal
behaviour..

What does that mean? Will it recover from itīs coma after
a night above a moderately turned up heater or another
hour of hair dryer treatment?
The Apple European Central Repair Center wants to charge
me a lump-sum of more than 90 British Pounds for
shipping and preliminary inspection and an additional 390
Pounds in case the mother board is dead.
This is an ridiculous amount so any versed advice from
"navigational" experienced user is very wellcome.

Kind regards and thanks for your help
Hagen Lang