[NTLK] Australian Chips

From: eric engle (engleerica_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 11:34:15 EDT

Just my 2 cents:

1. Australian newtonian technician has about sixty
upgrade chips, offers to sell them.

2. North American newton technician can repair newtons
for a price only slightly higher than the chips.

Why does not Dr. Newton either
a) Buy out Australian technicians stock?
b) Offer to do upgrade soldering if you provide chip
at higher price? e.g. "I'll solder your chip for 50
dollars" (or whatever is appropriate).

I know from experience that the voyager chip set is
out of production - maybe there is a source for the
upgrade chips ?

4WIW: Legally speaking, if a company made a newton
clone, I think it would be able to use the NOS. I have
not read the apple software licenses on this, but I
actually would like to see a revived newton. In other
words, if Dr. Newton and the Australian have sources
for chips and wanted to collaborate on such a
project...

Seriously, I _have tried looking at their software
download license. To me, it looks like this:
1) If a cloned newt came along and tried to use the
NOS apple could not stop it at least not at first.
Certainly the cloners would not be financially liable:

Anyway if a small firm were to do runs of 1000 newtons
per year I doubt apple would scream. Just a thought.

"About Unsupported Newton Software

Copyright 1995, Apple Computer, Inc.

The unsupported software folder contains software that
customers can download and use, but at their own risk.

Users of the software in this folder are not
automatically
entitled to any support by Apple Computer, Inc.
Customers
should not expect or request any telephone, fax or
email,
unless the license agreement or readme file of a
specific
release indicate otherwise.

For example, customers in the USA should not call
Apple
Assistance for Support.

Individual software releases may have special support
or
feedback methods. Please read the readme and license
agreement of every release you download and install."

=====
My web pages:

http://geocities.com/engleerica/
http://www.geocities.com/newtontechspecs