Re: [NTLK] NewtJDic (was: Berlitz and languages)

From: Karen Boyette (tokimi_at_collapsar.net)
Date: Sat Sep 22 2001 - 00:03:12 EDT

On Friday, September 21, 2001, at 10:07 AM, Gerstein, Sam wrote:

>> Thank you for the links! I downloaded Mr. Gerstein's very
>> large NewtJDict
>> and it is most impressive (although I did not think I would
>> ever download a
>> ~5 MB newton package)!

sam j: get used to large files if you are learning japanese. japanese
fonts are quite a bit larger than what you are used to. also, if you
plan to use a dictionary, those files will be quite large as well, as
you have seen.

>> However I am just beginning my studies of Japanese and, while this
>> dictionary will translate E->J and J->E it does not seem to give any
>> pronunciations of the Japanese words. Do you know if it is
>> possible to get
>> the dictionary to do this? Yet as my knowledge of the
>> characters/words grow
>> this will, of course, become less and less a problem.
>
> Hmm... it's true that it doesn't give the romaji, but the
> pronounciation is
> there in hiragana. Currently there's no way to have it show romaji
> instead,
> but I'll put it on my list for a possible future enhancement. For the
> time
> being, I'd recommend studying hiragana, as there are only about forty
> five
> of them, and they're really useful.

yes, i agree with sam g. here. kana is pretty easy to learn; however,
for the time being, you can use my beginner's dictionary, which lists
the words by romaji, then in japanese, and finally in english. find it
at:

http://tokimi.collapsar.net/irasshai/irasshai.html

also, there is a link on this page to a site with tons of
japanese-learning info, including kana tutorials. i think in response to
your posts and several others that i will write some docs about using
japanese on english newtons because it is extremely difficult to find
helpful info on this subject. would you be interested in being a 'test
audience'?

karen