Re: [NTLK] Misc. Questions on 2.0 Devices

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sat Sep 22 2001 - 04:50:37 EDT

on 9/21/01 10:49 PM, Alexandre Enkerli at aenkerli_at_indiana.edu wrote:

> -Is there a restriction on the type of batteries I can charge in a 2.0
> device? I know 1Ah NiCads work and I think I remember NiMHs as also
> possible but what about rechargeable alkalines? Any electrical hazard there?

All I have heard is that it's not wise to charge anything but NiCADs inside
the Newton or the optional stand (more on that later). If you have an
external charger, other batteries will work fine.

> -Would it be a problem if I plugged the adapter (H1300 7V) to a 220V plug
> using a cheap standard converter? It's rated from 100-240V at 50-60Hz so
> I'm guessing it's ok. I'll be going to Mali soon and using the adapter
> there would be really convenient.

I've done it in Europe with a simple adapter. It worked great for over three
years, until I lost it when I returned to the States. :-)

> -Is there any convenient way to merge notes from two backup files? How
> about other parts of the system?

I haven't tried it, but you might try backing up the notes data. I don't
think it overwrites data, but back up your Newton to a third file before you
try. :-)

> -Are there limitations on System Update versions to the 120 due to the
> System RAM size?

I think the limitations are to what Apple provided. I'm not sure I
understand this question...

> -Is it just because of the way they were used or are the screens of the 120
> and 130 somewhat different?

The 130 is backlight. I can't remember if that made a major visible
difference with the backlight off or not. I haven't seen a 120 for a couple
of years...

> -Why are there two holes with a piece of metal showing through them
> undereath the bottom-left foot of 2.0 devices?

Ah, those are the power contacts for the optional charging cradle/stand. You
simply drop the Newton 110, 120 or 130 into the cradle, and it starts
charging, or powers the Newton. There is also space for an extra set of
batteries. The cradle also has the nifty lights that tell you if the
batteries are charging or charged, or inserted incorrectly. Oh, and the
cradle comes with a desktop stylus and holder at the top. I've got one, but
need a power supply before I can use it again...

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland