Re: [NTLK] graffiti etc.

From: John Johnson (kamikazebear_at_excite.com)
Date: Sat Sep 22 2001 - 19:31:40 EDT

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 00:08:33 -0400, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> on 23/08/01 17:57, Ed Kummel at tech_ed_at_yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > I have an opinion on this...I firmly believe that a
> > "Personal" device should be just that...PERSONAL!
> > There should be no barrier to interaction with your
> > personal device. (within bounds of technology and
> > price) The device should learn and adapt to the user.
> > The device should be infinatly changable, allowing
> > extreme customization. In short, the device should be
> > an extension of the user...in my case, a spare brain.
> > The human mind is a wondrous thing. The human is the
> > only creature who can dream, and have goals. I call
> > this ability "Blue Sky". To use the brain to store
> > phone numbers or other mundane things is a travesty!
> > Delegate the mundane and repetitious to something that
> > is designed for that, your personal device!
> > While nothing today can fit these strict requirements,
> > the Newton comes the closest.
> > Additionally, I think in words and sentences. Not
> > letters. I write a word. Sure, it's letter by letter,
> > but the goal is a word. having to stop and think about
> > each letter individually chokes my thinking and causes
> > me to loose the elusive thought flowing in my brain!
> > Grafitti doesn't promote creativity...it's a note
> > taker, a jotter at best!
>
> I wholeheartedly agree with Ed!
>
> -Laurent.
> --
The point is, when we are aware of the characters of which a word is
composed we are drawn to observe the trace of its history (whether the word
evolved from a latin, greek or anglo-saxon root) and we are able to further
trace the conceptual roots of our current dialogue but there again there are
layers of perception and meaning: the point is not to stop at what we are
told is, or is the "semblance" of, reality if we are to approach the true
substance.
As for the technology, "Mere Jotter" indeed, it would be far more useful if
not only the immediate "facts", that shopping list, that directory of
friends and their phone-numbers, &c., is committed to silicon and
electricity, but the logical structures into which these "facts" combine as
a partial extension of our cognitive processes.
The "parts", in terms of hardware and software, are available and the
solution in both context is a fully networked device (like the Newt can be!)
and whether as an artist, philosopher, scientist or.. whatever..., using the
most intuitive interface available (stylus or keyboard) to suit our needs,
but ababove all as a means of bring reality into the system rather than
merely picking between default options.
Clear? I thought not! <|8-? John J.