Re: [NTLK] Word processor and spreadsheet HELP

From: John Johnson (kamikazebear_at_excite.com)
Date: Sat Sep 22 2001 - 20:35:31 EDT

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 11:48 +0000, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> -------------------------------------
> Maybe you guys can help me. I just got an MP 130. I'm new to the
> Newton world and will have many questions. First off I would like a
> more powerful word processing app. and a spreadsheet. Availworks might
> suit my purposes but at $80 it is hardly a bargain. That's how much I
> paid for my Newton! A text editor and a nice algebraic calculator would
> be fine. If you guys have any solutions they would be much appreciated.

Algebraic calculator...? I'd love to see that happen.
Such a tool would have the ability to save/reload formulae and the
precedence could be changed as to the variable that holds the result you are
seeking and the ones that would contain the values you already have as if
you already know Pi and the given radius of a cylinder but, not what height
you need for a stated volume of liquid.
There again it depends on the complexity of math you are pursuing at the
time. If you could see the graphic output of a given formula (like on some
of the smarter dedicated calculators) it'll be nice.
John J.

> Well I know that this is fairly old post but I cannot remember there
being many responses. Anyway I could not resist the opportunity to put in
my 2c worth.

> I am lucky enough to have a uMP2k (and now a Jornada Pocket PC - but
that is another story....) and find NewtWorks a very useful and useable
package. I have, however, also used my MP130 pretty extensively for note
taking and light word processing duties. Although I have tried AvailWorks at
times I never really took to it and instead found that the addition of a
number of add on packages made notepad a lot more useable for word
processing.

> In particular I found the following software very useful:
>
> - Merlin/Wordslueth for spell checking and thesaurus (still a commercial
programme but well worth the money IMO);
> - Style+ for additional fonts etc;
> - The Whole Text for selecting blocks of text;
> - Styles button for quick access to the stlyes pallet;
> - Outline styles and Hilite 2000 (Byte-Size software);
> - Big notes from Standalone Software;
> - Note scroller.
>
> I am sure that there are others but I cannot think of them right now.
Supernotepad from Standalone is another package that might be worth looking
at - although it is another one that I never really took to.