[NTLK] NOS future ?

From: Apostolos Koutropoulos (admiralak_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Sep 22 2001 - 22:30:55 EDT

Hello to all.
I have been pondering this for some time now.
The newton, and the Newton OS are essentially a dead
platform due to the fact that they are no longer
manufactured and propagated by any company right?

The newton OS though enjoys a great community, even after
five years since its demise, which is unlike any PDA! I
doubt that pocket PCs, palms, linux PDAs or psions
(although they have been discontinued too) enjoy as much
life on boards similar to ours.

So my pondering points have been two:
1) Is there some sort of future, no matter how improbable,
in store for the newton? I have been a newton user for a
year now (starting off with a 120 and moving up to a 2100
recently) and I would like to see it move forth.

2) Is anyone hobbyist programmer moving forth in doing
upgrades? IrDA is semivaporware since drivers are not
complete (as far as I;ve been lead to believe). The OS
could probably be improved as well. Is/are there any
projects in the works to breathe new functionality into the
newton like drivers for interfacing with devices such as
mobile phones for wireless email/surfing, or IrDA transfers
between other PDAs and computers? Any improvements to
connectivity and programs that exist ? Any new programs ?
Any drivers to use PCMCIA devices such as IBM's microdrive
?

Any answers out there in teh vast universe of cyberspace ?

AK

=====
----DJ AdmiralClub Admiralty 2001http://www.club-admiralty.com